It's my birthday and I'll cry if I have to...
Dear Friends,
Happy Birthday to me! Despite what FB knows, yesterday was my real birthday. There's so much to be happy for, and you--my dear reader--are at the top of the list. I am happy because I claim each one of you as my friend. The spiritual among us call us "blessed."
But the world in which we live...well, you know, that's a different story. And because you know, that's why you're my friend. So just in case you want to give me a late birthday gift, here's my wish list.
1. A liveable wage job: Call me a socialist, but I enjoy eating when I can afford it and seeing the doctor when we need to. And a girl can dream, right? This is why I'm looking for a job that pays at least 40K and has benefits. Plus, the kid wants to go to college next year when we will probably have to move because our landlady is putting the house on the market and our final lease will be up then.
2. A visit from you so that we can go to Esther's Follies: Anybody who can get me and Doug laughing at the political state of affairs gets 10 out of 5 stars. Esther's Follies accomplishes this task through vaudeville, magic, and parody. So come see me and come see Sixth Street, which is part of the stage. Unless you're a confused Trumpster who says, "Quit bashing Trump." In which case, you probably aren't my friend. I mean, He can terrorize families, lie, cheat, and steal; and we, well wee can't even express humor and outrage?!
3. Your help with Austin Sanctuary Network or another local organization for you that supports immigrants seeking sanctuary: I know that there are other larger organizations doing good work. But they do not have the added benefit of knowing the friends and neighbors--the ones who fled for their lives and who should be leading us, not vice versa.
And many more! Love,
Claire
Comments
Post a Comment